With apologies to Disney’s Beauty and the Beast…
Life is so unnerving
For an OFFICIAL who’s not serving
He’s not whole without a GAME to wait upon
Ah, those good old days when we were useful…
Suddenly those good old days are gone
TWO years we’ve been rusting
Needing so much more than dusting
Needing exercise, a chance to use our skills!
Most days we just lay around the castle
Flabby, fat and lazy
You walked in and oops-a-daisy!
It has been a tough two years for many of us since our last lacrosse game to officiate.
After some game observations – we are rusty, so here are some tips to help get rid of the rust.
FACE OFF: This procedure must be followed:
- Face off Official PLACES THE BALL ON THE CENTERLINE FIRST (PRIOR TO THE PLAYERS COMING DOWN).
- Then Players are directed ‘DOWN TOGETHER’
- The Players must set their crosses Stop to Top and handles parallel to the center line, not touching the centerline
- The Players right hand is UNDER the crosse handle and must show contrast color (tape, paint, crosse handle color)
- NO motorcycle grip!
- All Body parts are to the left of the head of the crosse
- Allow a moment to adjust heads stop to top – then say SET
- If a player delays setting – violation
- If a player does not place crosse properly – violation
- All other violations of the face off still in force (movement before the whistle, ball stuck in the cross, etc)
Let’s try this out this week:
When we instruct the face off players (one from each team). Put the ball down and have the players go down and SHOW them what STOP TO TOP is and expected.
QUICK RESTART –
- Do NOT allow running restarts when the player picks up the ball on the endline, sideline or on the field.
- Remember that a defender who does not establish 5 yards before engaging the ball carrier by body check, stick check or touching a pass is penalized for delay of game.
CONTROLLED RESTART- NOT QUICK
- GOALKEEPER out of the crease [he gets 5 seconds]
- TEAM A player is not 5 yards away from ball carrier.
- Restart is in front of the substitution area.
NO LINE UP – GO DIRECTLY TO FIRST FACE OFF.
- Check the battery in your beeper
- Don’t forget the crease count
- Remember to signal
- Time Time outs – Teams are taking their time getting back on the field at start of period and after time outs.
2nd PENALTY during a slow whistle – FLAG AND WHISTLE unless a shot is immediately taken.
Play on during a slow whistle flag down is a flag and whistle and a time serving penalty.
Count players prior to face off, after penalties, and after timeouts. Remember to count players in the penalty area. Clear the substitution area as subs cannot park themselves there.
Time keepers are instructed to start and stop on our whistle. Except for the face off, we must be winding to restart play. The only time we should pump our arm is when there is a running clock.
- PRACTICE YOUR SIGNALS IN A MIRROR – Let’s get them crisp again.
LET’S HAVE A GOOD WEEK!
Please contact me if any questions regarding mechanics and rules.